HIGHLANDS SHRINE CLUB FLORIDA
Meetings 4th Wednesday, Dinner - 7:00 P.M. at Clubhouse
Social 2nd Saturday , Dinner - 6:00 PM at Clubhouse
2604 State Road 17 South, Avon Park Florida 33825
Address Highlands Shrine Club P.O. Box 229 Sebring Fl 33871
Telephone: (863) 382-2208
Email address: email@example.com
Organized 1954 under the jurisdiction of the Egypt Shrine
OFFICERS for 2017
President........................... Noble Howard Craddock MM
Vice President................... Noble Allen Carr MM
2nd Vice President............ Noble Dennis Koranda PP
Secretary............................ Noble Sam Wilkin PP
Treasurer............................ Noble Jerry Higginbotham PP
Chaplain.............................. Noble Bob Love MM
Information (please click on the item below)
Webpage by Nobel Dennis
NOTES : Feb 2017
The following information applies to either your membership in Sebring Eastern Star and/or Highlands Shrine Club. Some of you belong to both organizations. Please read the part that applies to you so you don’t miss out and I do not have to send out two messages:
Highlands Shrine Club
Wednesday, February 22 - The Business meeting for the Nobles and Ladies is taking place beginning 5:30 p.m. for Attitude Adjustment, and Dinner at 6:30 p.m. Menu: chicken breast, twice baked potatoes, vegetable, dessert, coffee and iced tea - $8 / each. Please phone the Club at 382-2208 to make your reservation and leave a message on the answering machine ASAP.
Please attend this meeting to show your support for your Club and new president, Howard Craddock (thus far, only 18 have signed up). I know we can do better!
Sebring Eastern Star
Friday, February 24 - ~ 4 p.m. - Rehearsal for the Sebring Eastern Star Installation; after the rehearsal at ~ 6 p.m. - we are going to Olive Garden for dinner as a group (you do not have to attend the rehearsal to attend). Sissel Carr is taking reservations for the restaurant at 471-2425, please phone before Tuesday, February 21.
Saturday, February 25 - 12:30 p.m. - Installation of Sebring OES Officers beginning with pot luck meal, the Chapter will furnish the meat; the attendees are asked to bring the side dishes. The Installation will follow the luncheon. Sister Paula Hoffman will be Installed as Worthy Matron for her second term. Let’s come out to show support for her and our OES Chapter.
Thank you for your time in reading and responding to the above.
Best wishes, Sissel Carr
UPCOMING SEBRING OES, SEBRING & POINCIANA MASONIC LODGES, AND HIGHLANDS SHRINE
CLUB (HSC) EVENTS FOR FEBRUARY 2017 – Please print, and be sure to mark the
dates on your calendars so you don’t miss out!!
1. Wednesday, FEBRUARY 1 - 4-7 p.m. Spaghetti Dinner $8.00 /each – Poinciana Masonic Lodge. This meal gets good reviews from attendees. Friends, family members and the public is invited to attend. Take out is available.
2. Thursday, FEBRUARY 2 – OES Stated Meeting – Dinner 6 p.m. – Meeting 7 p.m. Dinner food committee: Verl & Sylvia Shaffer, John & Janet Harbaugh, and Alma & Fred Barefoot. Attendees are invited to bring a side dish or dessert. We have a good time at our meetings and events, come join us.
3. Saturday, FEBRUARY 4 – 9-9:30 a.m. (order upon arrival) – OES Breakfast at the Depot Restaurant in Avon Park. We’re getting good turnouts for this event. This is a great way to start the month with friends. As we all know, the restaurant has delicious breakfast items on the menu at reasonable prices. Friends and family members are invited to this monthly gathering, too.
4. Saturday, FEBRUARY 4 – 1:00 p.m. - HSC Installation of Officers, Luncheon, and Cold Sands - Ill. Sir James Lich, Potentate of Egypt Temple, performed the Installation of Officers for Noble Howard Craddock and the Officers. Best wishes for a successful year! The Sebring Rainbow Girls served our delicious steak meal - Paula Hoffman - Mother Advisor. Special thanks to Noble John Harbaugh for coordinating the event, and being instrumental and working with Egypt Temple in handling all the necessary paperwork for our new 3 candidates: John Devany, Eddy Merritt, and Peter Lapin. Welcome Nobles!!
5.Friday, FEBRUARY 10 - 4 to 7 p.m. – Fish Fry Dinner at the Poinciana Lodge in Avon Park. The all-you-can-eat menu consists of fish, French fries, baked beans, hush puppies, dessert and beverage for a cost of $10 /each. Friends, family members and the public is invited to this monthly event, too. Take out is available.
6. Saturday, FEBRUARY 11 - 8 a.m. to noon - Sebring Masonic Lodge - Open Book - contact Gary Gordon at 414-8523 or 273-4958 for additional details.
*** 7. Saturday, FEBRUARY 11 - 11 a.m. to ? OES Purse Auction & luncheon - $7 /ea. This fun activity is such a blast; you don’t want to miss it! (more details at the bottom of this message, please read). The delicious lunch menu is a real winner (with chicken salad from the Depot Restaurant) as well as other items.
8. Monday, FEBRUARY 13 – 7 P.M. – HSC Board of Director’s Meeting at the Club. This is open to ALL Nobles. We especially want to invite our newer members to attend. Please everyone, remember that it is YOUR Club! Lots of Club activities to discuss now that we have a new year and new Officers.
9. Thursday, February 16 - OES Stated Meeting (Election Night) – Dinner 6 p.m. – Meeting 7 p.m. Dinner food committee: Melba Base, Linda Canright, Sally & Michael Padron, and Linda & Bill Shelton. Attendees are invited to bring side dish or dessert. Come join us for this very special Election Night evening. Many of our northern Eastern Star members are visiting with us now, too, so we have a good crowd there. Our meetings are fun - come check us out!
10.Saturday, February 18th - HSC Annual Golf Scramble to be held at the Country Club of Sebring, 4600 Hawbranch Road. Volunteers are needed to go out to local merchants and get Door Prizes and/or Hole Sponsors. Noble Verl Shaffer - 382-0219, has printed up copies of the flyer that we are to use when we go out to businesses and solicit help for this endeavor. There is also a list of merchants posted on the Bulletin Board by the kitchen of the names of those that have helped us in the past. Please wear a Shrine Club shirt and maybe your Fez to assist in this task.
After the golf game has ended, the Shrine Club furnishes a delicious luncheon for the attendees. Help is needed in the HSC kitchen for preparing and serving the food at 10 a.m. on Saturday. Please contact Lady Marilyn Wilkin to volunteer your services. Also contact Noble Sam Wilkin PP if you are interested in playing golf that day, their number is: 471-3582. This is a big fund raiser for the Club, your help is urgently needed. THANK YOU.
11. Sunday, FEBRUARY 19 – 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. Sebring Mason’s BBQ lunch. The menu is: cole slaw, chicken, baked beans, potato salad, dessert and beverage for $10 /each. Take out orders are available. Your support of this fund raiser is greatly appreciated. We are getting good turnouts for this monthly event. Please invite your family and friends.
12. Wednesday, FEBRUARY 25 - HSC Dinner & Business Meeting for the Nobles and Ladies at 5:30 p.m. Attitude Adjustment – Dinner at 6:30 p.m. - Menu: chicken breast, mashed potatoes, vegetable, dessert, coffee and iced tea - $8 /each. Chef Nancy Keaveny will make this meal a real winner (like she always does) Phone the Club at 382-2208 for reservations before cut-off date of FEBRUARY 23.
13. Friday, February 24 - 4 p.m. (or as close to this time as possible) Rehearsal for the Sebring Eastern Star Installation.
Friday, February 24 - ~ 6 p.m. We are going to the Olive Garden after the rehearsal, Sissel Carr volunteered to make the reservations at the restaurant. Please either phone # (863) 471-2425 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org before Tuesday, February 21. Our northern visitors are here now (we love them!), but if we want to all be seated together, better call me ASAP for reservations!
14. Saturday, February 25 - Installation of Sebring OES Officers - 12:30 p.m. Pot Luck meal; the Chapter will furnish the meat, and the attendees are asked to bring the side dishes. The Installation will follow the luncheon. Please be there for this celebration. Sister Paula Hoffman will be our Worthy Matron again for a second term. Let’s come out to show our support for her and the Chapter.
15. Sunday, FEBRUARY 26 – 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. – Poinciana Masonic Lodge - Delicious all-you-can-eat breakfast - $8 /each. Menu: Sausage patty, scrambled eggs, pancakes, biscuits & gravy. This yummy breakfast is a real crowd pleasure - you may need a nap afterwards (optional).
16. Tuesday, FEBRUARY 28 at 11:30 a.m. BUNCO is alive and well – and lots of fun to play at the Highlands Shrine Club. This is a lively way to spend the afternoon; food is brought in by volunteers. The cost is $4 /each. Guys are welcome, too – and there are many of them. Friends, family members and the public is invited to attend.
We want to mention the honor of two Highlands Shrine Club Nobles: Noble Mike Byers PP received the Noble of the Year plaque for his willingness to perform any and all tasks to keep the Club running smoothly; Stormy Thompson also received a plaque for his hard work around the Club at the February 4th Installation. Both of these Nobles have gone “above and beyond” the call of duty as the saying goes. God bless you both, you do an OUTSTANDING JOB!
There’s not enough space here to mention the names of all the Nobles (and Ladies) who work hard around the Club, each of you are greatly appreciated! THANK YOU.
*** Saturday, February 11 - 11 a.m. Purse Auction - The objective is to bring a purse (lightly used) is OK, filled with items that you would like to receive. Wrap the purse in wrapping paper to make it look pretty. The auction will then begin, bidding wars add to the excitement! Brother Larry Hoffman WP is our auctioneer, and he does a good job. Vanna White AKA as Sister Paula Hoffman WM displays the items to peak our excitement. This is a good time to invite and bring your friends (open to men also), and tell them to bring along “mad money” and prepare to have a good time. (if you have any questions about the purse auction, please contact Sister Paula Hoffman at (863) 368-0766.
Before the excitement of the auction begins, there will be a delicious lunch served for only $7.00. On the plate will be a scoop of chicken salad, cantaloupe slices and other delicious items; as well as coffee and iced tea, and of course - dessert. Sister Darlyne is sending out the plea to help set up the food for lunch, please be there at 9 a.m. Our Chapter always comes thru with help, but more hands make the project seem smaller.
Please mark your calendars for March for the following event:
Sunday, March 5 at 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. - Delicious Meatloaf lunch - $10/each - this is a fund raiser for our OES Chapter’s expenses. More details next month in March’s Activity Events.
Don’t say there’s nothing to do here in Sebring…. this is repeated from last month, but you may have missed it.
There is a lively game of darts each Friday night at 7 p.m. at the Highlands Shrine Club. You don’t need to be a member of the Club to play; friends and guests are welcome, too. The cost is only $1.00 /each. There is a “cheering” section if you just want to watch the players. After the game, we all go down to the DQ South for a delicious ice cream treat and more socializing. There is a sugar-free item on the menu, too. Come on out and be part of the fun – you don’t have to be an expert to play!
The Ladies are playing the card game Stix on Tuesday nights at 6 p.m. at the Shrine Club. You will be welcomed for a night of lots of fun!
Speaking of the Shrine Club, the Saturday morning breakfast is back! The cost is only $5.00 /each for a delicious menu of scrambled eggs, pancakes, orange juice and coffee -- a real bargain. This is a good opportunity to have a meal with our members and the community attendees, too.
There are 2 stores located behind the main Highlands Shrine Club loaded with lots of bargains (furniture, clothing -- from kids to adults, books, records, glassware and much more!). A produce vendor with fresh vegetables and fruit to sell is on the premises. Some of our winter vendors have returned to sell under the lovely shaded oak trees as well -- set up is only $5.00 for everyone. This is a fun way to spend your Saturday mornings -- with us. The address is: 2604 State Road 17 South, 382-2208.
Lady Mary Jean is making a plea for large print books for her building. If you have some you are finished reading, please pass them on to her. Thank you.
Best wishes, Sissel Carr
HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY!
Motor Home and RV Camp Site Rentals
Highlands Shrine Club now has 4 camp sites that can be rented if you are Mason or a Shriner. The sites are 120 volt and have 50 and 30 amp service. There is no dump station.
NOTE: As of May 2012 water hook up has been added to each site.
Call the Shrine Club for more information (863) 382-2208
NOTE: Use the address below for your GPS.
Highlands Shrine Club
2604 State Road 17 South
Avon Park FL 33825